Tuesday, December 16, 2014

C# vs. VB for Dynamics GP .NET Development

By Steve Endow

At the reIMAGINE 2014 conference, Andrew Dean and I gave a presentation on VS Tools and .NET development for Dynamics GP.

At the beginning of the session, we asked the crowd several questions to get an idea of who were consultants vs. developers, who used Dex and/or .NET, and to assess experience, etc.

One question I asked out of curiosity was, for the .NET developers, who used C#, and who used VB?

A vast majority of the room raised their hands to indicate that they used C#.  It seemed that almost all of the attendees had previously indicated that they developed with Dex, so it surprised me to see that nearly all of them also developed in C#.

When I asked about VB, I believe only 3 people indicated that they were solely VB developers.  This also surprised me.  I have known several people who were VB-only developers, so I expected more of a mix, but based on our very informal survey, perhaps 95% of the Dynamics GP .NET developers focused on C#.

Interesting...


Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter


No comments: