Monday, December 28, 2015

OpenVPN Add Route requires Run As Administrator

By Steve Endow

I use OpenVPN to connect to my network when I'm remote.  There was quite a learning curve getting it setup and configured, but now that I've been through that gauntlet, it works pretty well.  I can use it on my Windows laptops, as well as my iPhone and iPad, which is a nice bonus.  So I have the option to pull out my iPhone, connect to my network, connect to my desktop or VM servers, and take care of a quick fix.

I recently bought a Surface Pro 4 and got it all configured, including OpenVPN.  It worked fine when I connected from my work network, so I thought I was all set.

I'm up at Lake Tahoe this week and I'm somewhat futilely attempting to get some work done when the kids are asleep.



When I used OpenVPN, it would connect to my VPN server, but for some reason I couldn't connect to any of the machines on my network.

Looking at the log, I noticed a bunch of error messages.


"ERROR: Windows route add command failed"

I also saw that "Access is denied" was also listed in the log.  Although it did connect to my VPN server, I was unable to connect to the machines on my network.

Based on the "Access is denied" message, on a hunch, I set the OpenVPN GUI to run using Run As Administrator and then connected again.

It connected fine, there were no more error messages, and I was able to connect to my VM servers just fine.


I've seen UAC and the whole Run As Administrator feature result in so many frustrating errors, even when logged in as a local Administrator.  You just never know when it is causing a problem, so you always have to try it to rule it out as the cause of an issue.

Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter

http://www.precipioservices.com

No comments: