Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Importing SOP Orders with sales taxes using eConnect

By Steve Endow

I don't remember if I've ever had to import Dynamics GP Sales Orders with sales tax amounts before.  If I have, it's been so long that I've completely forgotten about it.

So let's just say that today was a mini adventure.

My customer is importing "multi-channel" web site orders that are coming from major national retailers and online merchants.  Some of them calculate and charge sales tax, while others do not.  The customer is using Avatax with Dynamics GP, so Avatax is ultimately handling the final sales tax calculation.

For a few reasons that I'm not entirely clear on, the customer wanted to import the sales tax amounts for the web sites that calculated and provided sales tax--even though Avatax would be recalculating the taxes.  And thus began the journey of figuring out the quirky and barely documented process of importing Sales Order header level taxes using eConnect.

We first tried sending in the sales tax amount to the taSopHdrIvcInsert TAXAMNT node.  That resulted in this error:

Error Number = 799  
Stored Procedure= taSopHdrIvcInsert  Error Description = Tax table detail does not equal the tax amount


In the famously ironic process of Googling this error, I found my own thoughts on this error in this forum post.

https://community.dynamics.com/gp/f/32/t/140923


While my response to the post didn't directly address my issue, it gave me some clues.  I used SQL Profiler to trace the activity of my eConnect import and confirmed that the SOP10105 table was not being touched and that taSopLineIvcTaxInsert was not being called.

I checked the eConnect documentation on SOP taxes, but it might as well have been Greek.  I now see that there is one key sentence that is a clue, but without knowing what to look for, it didn't make any sense.

Let me know if you are able to spot the clue.


But it seemed like the taSopLineIvcTaxInsert node may be required even for header level taxes. Which made me concerned that I might have to send it in for each order line item--which would be a hassle.

I updated my eConnect code to add tax lines to my order, leaving out LNITMSEQ because I was only sending in header level taxes, and it resulted in this:

< taSopLineIvcTaxInsert_Items>
< taSopLineIvcTaxInsert>
< SOPTYPE>2< /SOPTYPE>
< SOPNUMBE>WEB0006< /SOPNUMBE>
< CUSTNMBR>CUST0001< /CUSTNMBR>
< SALESAMT>78.75< /SALESAMT>
< TAXDTLID>AVATAX< /TAXDTLID>
< STAXAMNT>5.75< /STAXAMNT>
< /taSopLineIvcTaxInsert>
< /taSopLineIvcTaxInsert_Items>


That did the trick.  The order imported successfully, the sales tax amount came in properly, and the SOP10105 table was populated.

So if you need to import SOP transactions with sales taxes, it appears you have to include taSopLineIvcTaxInsert.

Good times!

Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Twitter, YouTube, and Google+

http://www.precipioservices.com


No comments: